America Needs to Build Its Future, Not Shrink It

 America Needs to Build Its Future, Not Shrink It

When I read Donald Trump’s history, I see a man born into wealth and privilege. During the Vietnam War, he received four student deferments and a medical deferment attributed to bone spurs. It appears to me that his father’s wealth and connections may have helped keep him away from military service while other young Americans were sent to war. Trump later rose to power by presenting himself as a businessman who understood ordinary Americans, but I question whether a man who has lived with such privilege understands the struggles of families trying to make ends meet.

I can speak about what I see in my own city. I have seen gasoline selling for more than $5 a gallon. A loaf of bread that once cost me $2.99 now costs $5.49, and milk and other necessities have become more expensive. I cannot speak for every city or state, but I know what these increases mean for my household. When I see coins bearing Trump’s face being sold, I wonder why personal promotion receives so much attention while families are worried about their grocery bills.

For me, the deeper problem is education. America has allowed the cost of higher education to put college beyond the reach of many families. In India, I see students protesting over education and challenging Modi’s government about their future. Their willingness to fight for educational opportunity tells me how much they value it. I do not see the same level of public anger in America, where too many people seem resigned to the education available to them and the growing cost of obtaining more.

Our failure to expand educational opportunity leads directly to the immigration debate. We need educated workers, so American employers recruit talent from around the world. We also depend on immigrants who perform difficult, low-paid work. Yet instead of asking why we are not doing more to educate our own children, politicians turn immigration into a political issue and blame immigrants for problems facing the country. Crime should be addressed according to the actions of individuals, not their birthplace. Research has found lower offending rates among immigrants than among U.S.-born people, contradicting the idea that immigrants as a group are responsible for more crime.

America was built by generations of immigrants. I believe we have room for people who want to work, contribute, and build their lives here, alongside the responsibility to provide quality education and opportunity to the people already living in this country. These goals are not in conflict. An educated population and a growing workforce can both contribute to a stronger economy.

As the next election approaches, I want the national conversation to turn toward building America. We need affordable education, investment in our communities, opportunities for American workers, and room for newcomers who can help the nation grow. A national debt approaching $40 trillion will not disappear by shrinking the economy or spending more money on unnecessary wars.

We need to expand our productive capacity, educate our children, develop new industries, and create opportunities for more people to contribute.

America does not become stronger by closing doors, neglecting education, or dividing people by wealth, skin color, religion, or birthplace. We build a stronger nation by investing in its people and giving them the opportunity to build its future.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Turned an Abstract God into Concrete Hate

Distraction as Governance: How a Scripted National Song Debate Shielded the SIR Controversy

Superstitions: Where Do They Come From, and Why Do People Believe in Them?