Was Ravan More Principled Than Those Who Claim to Worship Ram?
Was Ravan More Principled Than Those Who Claim to Worship Ram?
I am quite sure that when people read this title, they will
question me for writing this article and using this title. Every day, there is
news coming from India about rape cases. In Delhi, DU girls are afraid to get
out of their homes or hostels after 6 p.m. for fear of getting raped. I have
read the Ramayana since I was a kid, and in the Ramayana, Ravan kidnapped Sita,
gave her a place of her own to stay, gave her caretakers, and never forced
himself on her. He was the most powerful king of his time, according to the
story in the Ramayana, and still he did nothing to shame himself in that
manner.
He was a rich and powerful king, and people in his kingdom
lived under his governance. Nothing in the Ramayana indicates that everyone in
his kingdom was unhappy. Here we have the BJP government, with the PM having
been accused of having his name in the Epstein files, along with questions
being raised about his travels and connections. Modi has been accused, and as
far as I have seen, he has done nothing publicly to defend himself against
these accusations. In my opinion, when such serious accusations are made
against the Prime Minister of India, the people deserve answers.
In the BJP and among people associated with it, there have
been individuals convicted of rape and other serious crimes. When the criminals
convicted in the Bilkis Bano case were let go before their punishment was over,
they were welcomed with sweets and garlands. The Supreme Court later struck
down their early release and ordered the 11 convicts back to prison. And these
are the same people who claim to worship Ram.
Having spoken with people who also feel cheated by these
thugs, at least I can say that, in my opinion, the BJP is not a party with
morals. I do not know why we burn the statue of Ravan on Dussehra. We should be
symbolically burning images of the convicted rapists we have seen protected or
celebrated by people in politics, to let everyone see that such rapists deserve
nothing more than society's condemnation.
Sure, some people may want to punish these individuals
directly, but that is the job of the justice system, and we cannot take the law
into our own hands. Those who have committed such crimes should be punished
through the justice system and according to the law.
So the question remains: Was Ravan Maryada Purushottam or
not? I will let the readers answer this question for themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment